Monday, September 20, 2010

Up to Oia, Santorini to watch the sunset every tour books says not to miss!!

Everybody stopping to watch the sun sink, even the staff



The sunset 19 September, 2010 Oia, Santorini

My friend Laurie wanted to see this sunset in Oia so we took the bus up there after shopping in Fira. Now I know what a herd of cattle feels like as we climbed up the winding steps to the western side of Oia to wait for the sunset. There are a lot of very nice shops along the narrow street that leads upward.

When we got to the top, sat at a restaurant table with a good view of the awaited moment we were told we could not stay unless we were going to order dinner! So we decided to, but had drinks first etc.. so we would not be rushed out before sunset!! It is a beautiful view. Would my life have been complete without it...yes of course. But my life would not be complete without my friend Laurie in it so I am glad we went!!!


I did think it was interesting that even though the staff at our restaurant has probably seen the sunset over 1,000 times, everybody stopped for that moment when it finally sank into the horizen. I was touched. And again a second later when the crowd broke out into spontaneous applause for the event. That touched my heart and I will be able to carry that moment with me forever. So maybe it was worth it...despite everything else.

I am sure many of you would like this island, nothing too bad to say about it, but I know my followers are looking for a deeper sense of community and connection along with their travel, so I would suggest not on this island.



OVERALL SANTORINI RATING


COMMUNITY * *

FOOD WASTE REDUCTION * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment