Thursday, September 23, 2010

HUGE MARKET IN THESSALONIKI

A few of the crowded local market
The carrots from my story

Yannis, the generous farmer "Everybody Eats If you look closely you can see the man with the cart I was talking about in the white T shirt




THe fish section of the market, must of been 20 booths


After I got home, I bit into the best apple I have had since childhood!!





Today we went to a huge farmers/flea market. There were many roads blocked off and lots of stuff. When we first walked in there was a pile of clothes just heaped on a table all for 1 EUR. My friend Mariana said they were being sold by the Gypsys. I bought 3 tops!!!
There were many produce booths, herbs, fish, pasta, household products, and even may booths with fabric that will make you drapes. You just give them a down payment and pick them up nest week.

We bought red peppers, lettuce, parsley, lemons, scallions,an asparagus fern,apples, and I was able to find a purple sweater for the upcoming cold months in Rome.
As we were walking along, one man was packing up his booth very early, out of everything but a few carrots. The carrots looked very good so we asked him how much for the 3 or 4 we wanted and he said "Free, Free"!!!! I am noticing that the Greeks are very generous with their food. ( Remember the Fig Lady in Knosos??!!) Oh yes, I also saw a perhaps homeless man pushing his cart going around to all the booths. I noticed he had a pack of hamberger and some shirts in his posession. Mariana says it is very common for the venders to give people in their commuity their leftovers and things to help out. I am told that the churches here take on most of the responsability of feeding thise in need, but I will have to find our more.
Everybody was friendly and in a festive mood. I was ready to turn the corner and see the Gypsy cart with horses! I am told that this market travels to a different neighborhood every day of the week in Thessaloniki.

Thessaloniki Street Market
Community Rating * * * * *
FOOD WASTE REDUCTION * * * * *






















1 comment:

  1. I like the man giving the carrots away for free and the vendors giving food to those in need. They do it naturally... definitely not like in the states except for foundations like One World.

    ReplyDelete