Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"EVERYBODY EATS" IN TOWN OF KNOSSOS, CRETE!!

Throne room at the Palace of Knossos
vessels at the Palace of Knossos

Palace of Knossos



The gifted fig


Fig woman

Today we travelled by bus to see the Palace of Knossos, the famous Minoan settlement. I was fascinate when I studied this civilization close to 30 some years ago at Ohio State so it was extra special to actually be able to go there.
On the way, we got off the bus about a mile too soon. I was a bit cranky about that, but started walking towards the area. We passed the very small town of Knossos and then this little old lady that was sitting at the front of her property under an arbor of grape leaves selling fresh figs for 3 EUR a kilo. I picked out a nice big fig and tried to ask her how much and she said FREE!!!! FREE!!! in her Greek accent. I tried to give her .20EUR coin at least but she refused. She wanted me to have it. I asked to take a picture of her and she agreed. I will never complain getting off at the wrong bus stop again ( I hope!) This was one of the most memorable moments of the whole trip so far.

The Palace of Knossos itself is a must see if you are a Minoan buff, if not I would spend an extra day at the beach!
COMMUNITY OF KNOSSOS RATING
COMMUNITY * * * * * ( due to the fig ambassador)
FOOD WASTE REDUCTION * * * * * ( same reason)
(based on a * - * * * * * star rating system)

No comments:

Post a Comment