Monday, September 27, 2010

LUNCH AT SAKI'S PLACE IN PIREA

Saki's Place
Fried squash with Tasiki sauce


Grilled octopus and greek salad with fresh lemons and Ouzo


Mariana looking gorgeous by the sea


If you ever visit Thessaloniki, you should try to take a little ride over to Pirea. You can sit by the shore at Saki's Place ( Saki is actually there and knows English!) and eat and look over at Thessaloniki. We ordered octopus, grilled salad, calamari, and fried squash to share..... As we sat right on the shore the tide came right up to our shoes.
The food was excellent!! Unfortuantely I discovered in Greece ( at least the big cities) it is thought to be low class to take any food home. And Greeks tend to over order and just leave the food there to be thrown away when they leave. I was shocked!! They will occassionally take some bones for their dog.

I remember years ago when you would go to a restaurant and ask for a 'doggie' bag and it would have a little picture of the dog on it and everything. I was a little girl. I do not recall what made the shift in America to take out boxes. I will have to ask my mother what she thinks tonight when we talk.


I told Mariana we were not going to leave all this food and she descretely went to the kitchen and asked for something to put the things in. We had enough to eat two more meals!! I even took the mini bottle of Ouzo we bought, it was 3/4 full and we had the cap. Normally that is left too!


SAKI's Place and the Pirea Community


COMMUNITY * * * * * ( very friendly )

FOOD WASTE REDUCTION * ( for all of Greece in Restuarants) very sad

No comments:

Post a Comment