Friday, November 26, 2010

CATS OF THE AMALFI COAST and a very special moment regarding a cat.

Cat at the Piazza Ravello

Gato on a cold tin roof seen on my way down from Ravello to Amalfi     

Another reason I love Italy so much is their love for cats.  As I walked along I saw many cats.  I took pictures of a lot of them.

 My last day in Amalfi I was walking to the bus stop in the piove (rain)and this taxi driver Augusto stopped and asked if I wanted a ride into Amalfi from Ravello.  I expained I had a bus ticket but Grazie anyway! 

While I was sitting waiting for the bus I saw an older gentleman walking from the piazza area with a sack and I understood in Italian he was talking to this Tabby cat about feeding him.  I wondered if I heard right so I kept watching and sure enough he got a can out of cat food out and walked over to the bushes and cerimoniously dished out a big helping for the gato. I then put 2 and 2 together that this was the taxi driver from earlier. 

A bus come and he knew I was waiting and grabbed my suitcase and was going to load it on for me.  It was the wrong bus, so he repeated this when my bus finally came.  I asked him about the gatoin Italian, if it was his.....etc He said no, it was the Piazza's and the nearby resataurant's and he and the cat have been friends since it was a kitten.  He feeds it often.. I assume more adesso since it is the off season!!  

What a beautiful moment to observe this selfless act of kindness of a man to a cat.. I hope you can pick up on the pure simplicity, beauty and the feline connection in my humble photos.
Gazie Mille for people like Augusto on this planet!!!

If you ever go to Amalfi and need a taxi, you may want to call him +39 089 857013 or check out his card below.

I forgot to ask him the cats name......darn!! i hope I can go back some day and do this, or if you go there, please follow up for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





If you are ever in Amalfi Coast and a cat lover AND in need of a Taxi!!!!!!!



COMMUNITY IN RAVELLO   * * * * *

FOOD WASTE REDUCTION  * * * * * ( Augusto even put food in several places for the cat, safe from the occassional dog!, nothing wasted from the can)

No comments:

Post a Comment