Friday, November 26, 2010

SAVED BY STRANGERS IN THE AMALFI COAST!!!!!

The Angels that saved my life, Elizabeth, husband Brett from Atlanta and driver Baggio

The man who nourished me! Guissepi from Ravello, Italy located right  through the tunnel and on the Piazza

A glimse of the Amalfi Coast so you can see how far I climbed down before my bosy gave out!!!
After the fabulous renunion in Napoli Abbi and I traveled to the Amalfi Coast to a small town called Ravello, way up above the town of Amalfi.  It had been Abbi's dream to climg the hills ( or I would say mountains!!) of Amalfi.  Unfortunately the weather was rainy and cold every day and even hailed occassionally so not much of that happened.

Although the first day we walked from the B&B to the piazza of Ravello and I attempted to climb down the side of the mountain from Ravello to Amalfi.  It was raining and the steps were typically old world and steep!!! It took my at least twice as long as Abbi to get down to the main raod, which was about 80% of the way.  At that point my legs were shaking and I could not walk!!!! I was sitting at the side of the raod wandering what to do when a taxi van stopped and asked if I needed a ride.  He also stated that he was busy right now, so hurry up and decide!!   I had already stolen a lime off a nearby tree and was trying to eat my way back to health and that was not working!! So I decided to get in!!! 

It turned out that a very nice American couple, Elizabeth and Brett from Atlanta had hired the driver Braggio for the whole day and had seen me and asked him to pull over.  I ended up getting a very informative tour with them from Braggio for a while and then dropped off in Ravello. 

I definetly needed to eat and stopped into the little bar I had cappucchino in that morning.  The owner Giussepi was fabulous.  Before I even was completely in the door he said are you hungry? some vino della casa?!!  I said yes and he called back in the kitchen for the spaghetti and they yelled back they were out, how about some gnocchi?  Fabulous!! My favorite with a nice glass of vino della casa, rosso.  I have never been so grateful for a meal and appreciative.  It renewed my vows to eliminate hunger and drove home the importance of a hot meal and a friendly greeting, especially in a time of need.

COMMUNITY ON THE ROAD ON THE AMALFI COAST ( LITERALLY!)  * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment