Sunday, August 22, 2010

Very Skinny Sweet Potatoes and a great 'Stuff a Truck' program at Hy-Vee !!


While in Omaha, Teresa Vaughn and I stopped at a grocery store called Hy-Vee in the Millard district.
When we entered the store we were greeted by many brown grocery bags that you could purchase. A friendly employee came over and explained the 'Stuff a Truck' program. You can pick up a stuffed grocery bag for a $5 or $10 amount and this would go onto a truck and once that truck is filled it will be delivered to a local food pantry. Teresa and I each choose a $5 bag. I liked the program because it kept things easy, affordable and local. Of course I think we would have liked to see some fresh produce go into those bags, but given the nature of the application, it would not have worked. I give a full round of applause to the effort the store made to present the event and support it!!

While we were shopping I ran into the skinniest sweet potatoes I have ever seen. I just had to take a picture of them!! I did not ask about their origin etc.. now I wish I had so I coud let you know. Now that I am blogging I promise to go the distance next time!!!
They also had organic sections of produce and supplies.

Hy-Vee is located at 14591 Stony Brook
Omaha, Nebraska 68137
phone: 402 697 0811 email: 1466director2hy-vee.com
HY-VEE'S RATINGS
COMMUNITY - * * * * * (5 stars)
FOOD WASTE REDUCTION - UNRATED

( based on a * - ***** rating system)

No comments:

Post a Comment